Before I became a teacher and a mom, I hardly celebrated Halloween. Now I go to several parties and parades, visit the pumpkin patch, wear more than one costume, decorate my porch, carve pumpkins and go trick or treating. It turns out Halloween is Ruby's favorite holiday so it's all worth it.
We started by decorating our porch. Last year I was very pregnant and remember looking for decorations at the last minute when things were sold out. This year I have a better handle on things (kind of) and got some lights early. Plus my friend, Pinterest, bombarded me with pictures of the DIY monster door. I actually owned all the supplies. Sold!
Next up...the pumpkin patch. I went with friends when Ruby was one, my mom when Ruby was two and Adam when Ruby was three. The first two years were great. The last one, not so much. I picked a Sunday right before Halloween. It was hot, crowded and the Raiders game was about to start. Lesson learned. This year we left Adam at home with NFL Redzone and took Grandma O'Brien, Auntie and her camera. It was still hot and crowded but we had fun. Ruby wasn't into taking pictures but Ella was into sitting with pumpkins.
One evening, Ruby's preschool had a potluck for the Butterfly class (four year olds). They were all tickled to be at school after dark...and without the Fish (three year olds). The teacher gave them all Halloween flashlights so they could see the "haunted" play house. It was sweet.
The actual Halloween celebration was the following Monday. Thanks to my wonderful friend/job share partner, I was able to swap days and be at the party. The kids do a little performance, parade around the park, eat and play games. I've been two years in a row and am super impressed. Getting 24 Kindergarteners to do anything in an organized manner is like herding cats. I'm in awe that the teachers do it with pre schoolers!
When I told Ruby that Ella was going to wear her old bee costume, she decided she would be a flower. My heart smiled thinking about the girls wearing matching costumes. No surprise, Ruby changed her mind several times after that. I didn't let her pick a new costume but did let her modify it a bit. By the end, she was really a fairy but humored me by saying she was a flower fairy. It worked.
Ruby and one of her pre school BFFs stopped to pose during the parade. I have no idea what they were doing but they both tried to close one eye. It was intentional because all three pictures had the same pose and face.
Finally, Halloween rolled around. It was a school day so I paraded and partied with my class and went home to finish celebrating. Thanks to my school neighbor's leftovers, Ruby thought I was a rock star mom when I made her a special Halloween dessert.
At 6:30 PM, we met the neighbors for trick or treating. We do the same thing every year...meet at a certain time, trick or treat as a group and head back inside. It's fast, it's fun, it's over in a half hour.
Even though it was past hear bedtime, Ella joined us until we got to our own house. She totally wanted to walk up to each door with the kids. Unfortunately, she was a day late and a dollar short every time. Plus, I had to quickly snatch her up so she wouldn't get trampled by the mob as they ran to the next house. Adam handed out candy and I handed him Ella. Bedtime!
While we trick or treated, I had my neighbors tell Ruby about The Great Pumpkin. I knew they put their candy out at bedtime and got a present in return the next morning. I was proud of Ruby when she ate one tootsie pop and put her candy on the porch. After bedtime, I hid the candy and went through my bag of presents in the garage. There was a little dress up makeup bag I got on sale a while ago. I put it in her pumpkin and hung it on the inside of our door fully intending to put it outside in the morning. Thank goodness I at least got it ready. Ruby woke me up from a dead sleep the next morning (very unusual since Ella wakes up before Ruby) and wanted to head downstairs. She was tickled with the exchange and decided The Great Pumpkin is magical. She went right into the bathroom to try out the makeup. Hilarious!
Did you think Halloween was over? Not for my kid. On Thursday after dinner, we went for one last walk to look at the decorations. Ruby invited our neighbor who shares her love of Halloween. Like the Merida dress? She'd celebrate Halloween every day if we let her.
Phew =)
Baseball
3 days ago





what an awesome halloween week(s). I love the door and the pictures of the girls together couldn't be any cuter!
ReplyDelete